We found 40 more Church of Ireland churches near Ballyconnell
Galloon St Comgall (Newtownbutler), Newtownbutler (10.26 miles)
Killoughter (Redhills), Redhills (10.92 miles)
Drumany Chapel-Of-Ease Christ Church, (8.32 miles)
Cloverhill St John, (9.17 miles)
Derrybrusk St Michael, (11.49 miles)
Arvagh (Arva), Arva (13.17 miles)
Maguiresbridge Christ Church, (12.95 miles)
Derryheen, (9.26 miles)
Urney (Cavan), Cavan (12.6 miles)
Newtowngore St Patrick (Carrigallen), Carrigallen (6.19 miles)
Drumreilly, (6.21 miles)
Kinawley St Paul Chapel-Of-Ease, (7.82 miles)
Annagh (Belturbet), Belturbet (5.84 miles)
Derrylane, (10.56 miles)
Aghavea St Laserian (Brookeborough), Brookeborough (14.03 miles)
Aghadrumsee, (14.65 miles)
Aughavas, (12.35 miles)
Drumlane (Killynagher), Killynagher (3.97 miles)
Kilmore St Fethlimidh(Kilmore Cathedral), Kilmore Cathedral (11.89 miles)
Currin St Andrew (Scotshouse), Scotshouse (13.68 miles)
Templeport St Peter (Bawnboy), Bawnboy (3.62 miles)
Castleterra (Ballyhaise), Ballyhaise (12 miles)
Clones St Tighernach, (14.95 miles)
Killeshandra, (7.64 miles)
Drummully St Mary, (11.07 miles)
Crom Holy Trinity (Kinawley), Kinawley (5.99 miles)
Cleenish (Bellanaleck), Bellanaleck (12.51 miles)
Corrawallen St Columba, (8.86 miles)
Drumaloor St Andrew, (7.97 miles)
Killesher St John, Enniskillen (11.31 miles)
Lisbellaw, (13.96 miles)
Oughteragh (Ballinamore), Ballinamore (9.82 miles)
Derryvullan St Tighernach (Tamlaght), Tamlaght (13.65 miles)
Lisnaskea Holy Trinity, (10.79 miles)
Sallaghy, (9.6 miles)
Kinawley (Derrylin), Derrylin (5.09 miles)
Carrigallen, (10.08 miles)
Killegar, (7.23 miles)
Kildallon, (3.81 miles)
Swanlinbar St Augustine, (7.06 miles)
Who we are
Welcome to Tomregan Parish. Tomregan Church is located in the Cavan border town of Ballyconnell beneath the wind turbines on the Slieve Rushen Hill. It is 3.1km from the popular Slieve Russell hotel.
Services are usually every Sunday at 11.30am
Parish or Diocesan readers lead services on the 1st and 3rd Sundays. Clergy lead other services.
Services are usually every Sunday at 11.30am
Parish or Diocesan readers lead services on the 1st and 3rd Sundays. Clergy lead other services.

Church Address

Denomination
Church of Ireland
Church of Ireland churches in Ballyconnell, County Cavan
Church of Ireland churches in County Cavan
Church of Ireland churches in Ireland
Church of Ireland churches churches near me
All churches in Ballyconnell, County Cavan

Affiliations

Church Website

Tomregan Church on Social Media

Leadership
Leader Name:
Leader Position:
Formal Title:
Leader Address:
Phone:
Fax:
Leader Email:
Click here to contact the church
Leader Bio:
on Social Media:
Other Church Leaders:

Leadership Photos
Add a Photo

Administration
Admin Name:
Admin Position:
Swanlinbar Kildallon Group Office
Admin Address:
Phone:
Fax:
Admin Email:
Click here to contact the church

Mailing Address

Driving Directions

Travel/Direction Tips
Know how to get there? Share the knowledge with others!

Parking
Please share parking information and/or parking experience!

Tomregan Church Service Times
Services are usually every Sunday at 11.30am
Monthly Breffni Service
There would also be a service of Holy Communion in the Breffni Care Centre every month, usually the last Tuesday in the month at 2pm.
It's been more than a year since the last service times update. Please make sure to contact the church to confirm service times.
Please contact the church to confirm Service Times or SUBSCRIBE to updates below
Monthly Breffni Service
There would also be a service of Holy Communion in the Breffni Care Centre every month, usually the last Tuesday in the month at 2pm.
It's been more than a year since the last service times update. Please make sure to contact the church to confirm service times.
Please contact the church to confirm Service Times or SUBSCRIBE to updates below

Worship Languages

Dress Code

Sunday School / Children and Youth Activities
Under 12s:
Under 18s:

Local outreach & community activities

Other activities & ministries

Special Needs/Accessibility

Prayers and Hymns
Main Bible:
Hymns and Songs:

Other information
Average Adult Congregation:
Average Youth Congregation:
Additional Info:
Weddings
It is always a joy when members of the parishes choose to get married before God in church. In our changing world we do not take this for granted. If this is a step you are considering in the parish group please contact Reverend John Woods.
Tomregan Parish have a set fee for weddings for non-parishioners. to use the church for a wedding. This fee does not apply to parshioners of Tomregan. The current charge is set at €350 (agreed Select Vestry Oct 2015)
It is always a joy when members of the parishes choose to get married before God in church. In our changing world we do not take this for granted. If this is a step you are considering in the parish group please contact Reverend John Woods.
Tomregan Parish have a set fee for weddings for non-parishioners. to use the church for a wedding. This fee does not apply to parshioners of Tomregan. The current charge is set at €350 (agreed Select Vestry Oct 2015)

Tomregan Church Ballyconnell Photos

Tomregan Church History
The Church was originally the site of an old earthen fort which dominated the western approach to the ford of Ath Conaill on the Woodford or Graine river, and was probably occupied by a McGovern chieftain. A Catholic church was later built on the site, sometime before 1590, when it was confiscated by the Crown.
The first Protestant Rector, Martin Baxter, was appointed in November 1626. The Church was fortified in 1689 during the Williamite wars, and the remains of two diamond-shaped graves can still be seen. These were supposedly used as mass graves during famine times.
A new church was erected in 1756 and enlarged in 1820 and is still in use to-day. It is regarded as being of international architectural interest, according to An Foras Forbatha's 1977 report on Cavan buildings. An important Romanesque carving, known as the Tomregan Stone stood outside the West wall of the church for many years. It came originally from the site of the ancient parish church in Mullynagolman townland.
There were Catholic burials in the cemetery until St. Brigid's R.C. church opened in 1843. The oldest surviving Catholic tombstone seems to be that of Conner Reilly who died in 1732 and the oldest Protestant tombstone seems to be that of Mabel Beal who died in 1752. The last Catholic to be buried there is probably John Kiernan who died in 1840. The graveyard is much overgrown in places and may conceal other tombstones. The inscriptions may be cross-checked with the Protestant parish registers which date from 1797. Names in alphabetical order: Barron: 1886, Beal: 1752, Benison: 1828, Benison: 1881, 1896, 1900, 1911, Brady: 1806, Brady: 1784, Brinnan: 1816, Brooke, Revd.: 1818, Burk: 1810. Cobean: 1842, Connly: 1818, Curry: 1754, Curry: 1783, Davis: 1805, 1822, 1846, 1798, Donocho: 1771, 1785, Donaghoe: 1805, 1822, Doogan: 1892. Foster: 1779, Foster: 1887, Freehile: 1830. Graham: 1802, 1870, 1873, Griffith: 1895, 1904, 1910. Halliday: 1885, 1893, Henderson: No date, Hewitt: 1758, 1886, 1889. Kellett Revd.: 1897, 1894, 1905, 1929, Kells: 1897, 193 1, Kells: 1897, 1899, Keirnan: 1777, Kiernan: 1833, 1840, Kiernan: 1821. Latimer: 1862, 1883, Love: 1774. Magahran: 1778, Magauran: 1830, Magaveran: 1805, 1812, Magawin: 1800, McDermot: 1804, McDonald: 1814, McGregor: 1873, McKena; 1828, Montgomery: 1810, 1826, Moore:1794, 1800, Moore:1896, Moore: 1817, Moore: 1819, Murphy: 1774, Murphy: 1821, 1822. Neail: 1792, Netterfield: 1905. O'Brien: 1811. Parker: 1855, 1893, Powell; 1849, Preston: 1860. Quin: 1785, 1795. Reily: 1732, Reily: 1793, Reilly: 1822, Reilly: 1825, Reilly: 1780, Robinson: 1858, 1874, 1895, 1899, 1919, 1934, 1970, 1970. Story: 1829 (daughter of John Enery of Ballyconnell House), Story: 1835, Sturdy: 1813. Whitely: 1759.
(Taken from Breifne Publication -Vol 7, No 2S.
Ballyconnell Cemetery Inscriptions - pre 1900 by John O'Reilly.)
The first Protestant Rector, Martin Baxter, was appointed in November 1626. The Church was fortified in 1689 during the Williamite wars, and the remains of two diamond-shaped graves can still be seen. These were supposedly used as mass graves during famine times.
A new church was erected in 1756 and enlarged in 1820 and is still in use to-day. It is regarded as being of international architectural interest, according to An Foras Forbatha's 1977 report on Cavan buildings. An important Romanesque carving, known as the Tomregan Stone stood outside the West wall of the church for many years. It came originally from the site of the ancient parish church in Mullynagolman townland.
There were Catholic burials in the cemetery until St. Brigid's R.C. church opened in 1843. The oldest surviving Catholic tombstone seems to be that of Conner Reilly who died in 1732 and the oldest Protestant tombstone seems to be that of Mabel Beal who died in 1752. The last Catholic to be buried there is probably John Kiernan who died in 1840. The graveyard is much overgrown in places and may conceal other tombstones. The inscriptions may be cross-checked with the Protestant parish registers which date from 1797. Names in alphabetical order: Barron: 1886, Beal: 1752, Benison: 1828, Benison: 1881, 1896, 1900, 1911, Brady: 1806, Brady: 1784, Brinnan: 1816, Brooke, Revd.: 1818, Burk: 1810. Cobean: 1842, Connly: 1818, Curry: 1754, Curry: 1783, Davis: 1805, 1822, 1846, 1798, Donocho: 1771, 1785, Donaghoe: 1805, 1822, Doogan: 1892. Foster: 1779, Foster: 1887, Freehile: 1830. Graham: 1802, 1870, 1873, Griffith: 1895, 1904, 1910. Halliday: 1885, 1893, Henderson: No date, Hewitt: 1758, 1886, 1889. Kellett Revd.: 1897, 1894, 1905, 1929, Kells: 1897, 193 1, Kells: 1897, 1899, Keirnan: 1777, Kiernan: 1833, 1840, Kiernan: 1821. Latimer: 1862, 1883, Love: 1774. Magahran: 1778, Magauran: 1830, Magaveran: 1805, 1812, Magawin: 1800, McDermot: 1804, McDonald: 1814, McGregor: 1873, McKena; 1828, Montgomery: 1810, 1826, Moore:1794, 1800, Moore:1896, Moore: 1817, Moore: 1819, Murphy: 1774, Murphy: 1821, 1822. Neail: 1792, Netterfield: 1905. O'Brien: 1811. Parker: 1855, 1893, Powell; 1849, Preston: 1860. Quin: 1785, 1795. Reily: 1732, Reily: 1793, Reilly: 1822, Reilly: 1825, Reilly: 1780, Robinson: 1858, 1874, 1895, 1899, 1919, 1934, 1970, 1970. Story: 1829 (daughter of John Enery of Ballyconnell House), Story: 1835, Sturdy: 1813. Whitely: 1759.

Tomregan Church Historical Photos
Tomregan stone
This pre medieval carved stone head with what appear to be arms and legs but no body is understood to have come come from the from the Tomregan Round Tower which was part of a destroyed monastery about three miles south of Ballyconnell. It is presently in the porch of Tomregan Church, Ballyconnell.
This pre medieval carved stone head with what appear to be arms and legs but no body is understood to have come come from the from the Tomregan Round Tower which was part of a destroyed monastery about three miles south of Ballyconnell. It is presently in the porch of Tomregan Church, Ballyconnell.
Add a photo
Tomregan Church listing was last updated on the 19th of May, 2023