Our Lady and St. Cuthbert RC Church
Berwick-upon-Tweed
Northumberland

TD15 1DQ


Who we are

Our Lady and St. Cuthbert RC Church is serving the Berwick-upon-Tweed community and engaging and encouraging others through a life-changing journey in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland.

Our mission is to nurture a diverse and welcoming community, committed to following fearlessly wherever God is leading us and make Disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of Berwick-upon-Tweed and the world!

Church Address

64 Ravensdowne
Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland TD15 1DQ
United Kingdom
Phone: (01289) 307297

Download Our Lady and St. Cuthbert RC Church vCard with Mass Times


Church Pastor

Fr Paul Jenkins OCarm
Parish Priest
Our Lady & St. Cuthbert's Church
64 Ravensdowne
Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland TD15 1DQ
United Kingdom
Phone: (01289) 307297

Download Parish Priest Fr Paul Jenkins OCarm vCard


Quote of the Day

1 Corinthians 2:9

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Denomination


Affiliations:

Part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Hexham & Newcastle



Website:



Social Media




Leadership

Leader Name:
Fr Paul Jenkins OCarm
Leader Position:
Parish Priest
Formal Title:
Reverend Father
Leader Address:
Our Lady & St. Cuthbert's Church
64 Ravensdowne
Berwick upon Tweed
Northumberland
TD15 1DQ
Tel:
Fax:

Leader Email:
Leader Bio:
Other Church Leaders:

Fr Paul Jenkins OCarm on Social Media:


Our Lady and St. Cuthbert RC Church Leadership Photos



Administration

Admin Name:
Admin Position:
Admin Address:
Telephone:
Fax:

Admin Email:

Mailing Address





Our Lady and St. Cuthbert RC Church on the map




Driving Directions to Our Lady and St. Cuthbert RC Church

From:
To:
Our Lady and St. Cuthbert RC Church - 64 Ravensdowne, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland
Mode of Travel:

Travel/Directions Tips



Parking

Parking around the church is restricted to Permit Holders only. Please park in the Parade Car Park, at the junction of Parade and Church Street then walk along Parade taking the first right down Ravensdowne to the church. A Parking Disc must be displayed when parked in the Car Park and these are available from a number of shops in the town.


Our Lady and St. Cuthbert RC Church Berwick-upon-Tweed Mass Times

Saturday Vigil 6.00pm

Sunday Morning 9.30am
Sunday Evening No Sunday evening Mass

Daily Mass on Tuesday and Thursday at 10.00am

Mass Times last updated on the 19th of April, 2023


Worship Languages



Dress code:



Children and Youth Activities

Under 12s:

Under 18s:


Local outreach & community activities:

Other activities & ministries



Special Needs/Accessibility:



Prayers and hymns:

Main Bible:
Hymns and Songs:


Other information:

Average Adult Congregation:
Average Youth Congregation:
Additional Info:



Our Lady and St. Cuthbert RC Church Photo Gallery




Our Lady and St. Cuthbert RC Church History

The present Church was built to accommodate about three hundred people and opened on the 25th June 1829. The parish priest was Father Birdsall.

In 1851 the Mass attendance numbered about 200; which figure, if Berwick can be compared with other non-rural congregations such as Alnwick, would give a total congregation of around 600. From the registers it would appear that just over half of them were Irish immigrants or their children. For the remainder of the century the size of the congregation fluctuated, but overall there was a steady, though small, increase. In 1929 the total congregation was put at around 900.

Among the parishioners, the Liddell-Grainger family of Ayton Castle and Sir Hubert and Lady Annie Jerningham, of Longridge Towers were prominent benefactors of the Church. The Liddel-Grainger family made a gift to the church of the Stations of the Cross, dated 1910, in memory of Henry Liddell-Grainger. In 1914 Sir Hubert Jerningham died. Both he and Lady Jerningham are buried in the church grounds, where there are memorials to them.

In 1852, the picture on the ceiling of the Agony in the Garden was presented to the church by a parishioner, James Grieve, of Ord House. The inscription states that the picture was given to James Grieve by King Charles the Tenth of France and Navarre. There is an unsubstantiated story that the King gave the painting to James Grieve in settlement of gambling debts.

1925 saw the opening of a new side-chapel dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The chapel was given by the Liddell-Grainger family in memory of Alice Paton (nee Liddell –Grainger).

In 1979 the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the church was celebrated. Mass was said by the Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle, and among those present were clergymen from other denominations, Mr Alan Beith, Berwick’s M.P and representatives of Berwick Borough Council.

Taken , with permission, from, “ A History of the Church of Our Lady and St. Cuthbert Berwick on Tweed”. J.M. Rowley. 1991


Our Lady and St. Cuthbert RC Church Historical Photos




Page administrator:

Contact Email: